Here's an interesting exercise that I suggest you try. Pick an ordinary object (or have someone pick one for you) and think about what it means to you. You probably won't come up with much at first, just the ordinary uses for whatever the object is, but don't stop there. Keep thinking, and try to think about how you feel about it, try to think outside the box and be as abstract as you can.
Not having any ideas for what to put in this post, I asked a friend for a topic. My assignment: "you shall post about umbrellas."
Here are a few of the things that I relate to umbrellas:
- Stubbornness – There are very few times in my life when I've actually used an umbrella. I'll walk without an umbrella when it's completely pouring rain, because sometimes I'm just to stubborn to admit that I need to use an umbrella. It's almost like I wear the fact that I'm soaking wet as a badge of honor, some sort of odd pride is obtained by doing this.
- Protection – This one is a multi-parter. There's the obvious fact that an umbrella acts as protection against rain and sun. Going a bit farther than that, though, is that I'm more than willing to hold an umbrella for someone else, for whatever reason. When that's the case, I'll make sure that they get the complete protection of the umbrella, even if that means exposing myself mostly or completely to the onslaught of rain.
- Vacation/Relaxation – It took awhile for this one to pop into my mind, but now I can't get the picture of a chair and umbrella on the beach out of my head. Just being able to chill out and relax surrounded by a flawless beach is so appealing right now.
- Spudart – Matt Maldre donated the following quote for this post: "with large umbrellas, come large responbilities." I'm not exactly sure what a "responbilities" is, but I think it might be something that's used to clean umbrellas.
- Unexpected weather, and "lost and founds" – today's forecast was clear. A nice day with no rain. I guess the weather didn't listen to the forecast. I was thinking about this post when I saw that it was raining, and decided that I needed to fight my stubbornness. I now have a new umbrella (that I'm "borrowing" from the lost and found) that will live in my car. I used it when I went to lunch, and am a better person for it.
So, there you go. Pick something, anything, and run with it. Post your reactions in the comments here. Need an idea? Shoes. Comment about what your shoes do for you.